Pork Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours + standing
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 2 cups refrigerated mashed potatoes
- Cut roast in half; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, red pepper, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and seasonings; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork; cut some into cubes measuring 2-1/2 cups and save for another use. (Keep remaining pork warm.)
- For gravy, strain cooking juices and skim fat; pour 1 cup into a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl, cook potatoes on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Let meat stand for 10 minutes before slicing; serve with potatoes and gravy.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 370 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Jan 14, 2017
My kids love this recipe. They are like the gravy and mashed potatoes.
Jul 15, 2014
This was very good. The only thing I did different was to use 1T each of cornstarch and cold water to make the gravy a little thicker.
Jul 9, 2014
The pork was nice and tender and the gravy was delicious!
Dec 30, 2013
Came out so tender and juicy, just wonderful! The only thing I'll change for next time is to include less vinegar, just because my family prefers it that way. Other than that, very yummy!
Mar 18, 2013
This recipe makes the most tender most moist pork I have ever had !!!! Next time I make it, I may tweak the ingredients a bit, but it is absolutely wonderful!!!!
Jan 14, 2013
my husband and I just love this recipe. Turns out great every time. Gravy is a little thin so added more cornstarch.
Dec 3, 2012
I would make this again with one exception - I'd leave out the cider vinegar. The gravy was really tangy. My son loved it but my husband wouldn't eat it at all. I did like how easy to prepare it was. The meat was very easy to slice, but a little dry without the gravy (which was tangy).
Aug 14, 2009
It was better on the second day! When I first pulled it out of the pot, the cider vinegar was a little over powering, but still good. The next day it was even more delicious! It also makes great sandwhiches!
Feb 6, 2009
This was fabulous!