Pork and Sauerkraut With Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops ( 7 ounces each)
- In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, onion, apples, corn syrup, bay leaves, caraway and pepper. Spoon half into a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with potatoes.
- Broil pork chops 6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned; place over potatoes. Spoon remaining sauerkraut mixture over pork.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook 4-5 hours longer or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 471 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 6g fiber), 35g protein.
Dec 31, 2009
My husband interrupted his own story to say, "Wow- this is really good pork" at the same time that I said "Holy Jesus is this is a good pork roast."I made this with a 2 1/2 pound roast. My crockpot couldn't hold the roast, the sauerkraut, the onion, apples, AND the potatoes, so I left the potatoes out and made mashed potatoes instead.It is by far the MOST moist pork I have EVER had. Definitely NOT your typical crockpot recipe. Absolutely declicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.