Sausage Sauerkraut Supper
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 4 cups carrot chunks (2-inch pieces)
- 4 cups red potato chunks
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh Polish sausage links
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the carrots, potatoes and sauerkraut. In a large skillet, brown sausages. When cool enough to handle, cut into 3-inch pieces; transfer to slow cooker (slow cooker will be full). Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion and garlic in reserved drippings until tender.
- Gradually add wine. Bring to a boil; stir to loosen browned bits. Stir in pepper and caraway. Pour over sausage. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 423 calories, 31g fat (10g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 969mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 3, 2015
This had excellent flavor. It was cooked in 6-8 hours
Dec 29, 2014
Great taste! This is a HUGE favorite in our household.
Feb 11, 2013
Have made this several times and love it more each time.
Jan 27, 2013
Thought it had a bad taste. didn't like in our house
Sep 17, 2010
I used a 16 oz jar of sauerkraut and some chopped cabbage and my kids especially liked it! I served mine with a little honey mustard on the side. It is very good!
Jan 10, 2010
I left out the garlic and cut back on the pepper. It still had plenty of seasoning. My husband really liked it and I was happy that it did not call for brown sugar as some other sausage & sauerkraut recipes do.