Slow Cooker German Potato Salad
Here's the dish everyone looks for at our parties, so we always double the recipe. It was handed down from my mother-in-law and has been a family favorite for years. —Stacy Novak, Stafford, Virginia
- 3 pounds red potatoes (about 8 medium)
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- Minced fresh chives, optional
- Place potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, just until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings.
- For dressing, saute onion in drippings over medium-high heat until tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in sugars, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in vinegar and water; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until slightly thickened, 4-6 minutes.
- Slice potatoes; place in a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Top with dressing; sprinkle with bacon. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 3-4 hours. If desired, sprinkle with chives.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 318 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 751mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as German Potato Salad in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.