Sausage with Apple Sauerkraut
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 package (16 ounces) smoked Polish sausage
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add the apples, sauerkraut, apple juice, caraway and fennel to the onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat sausage according to package directions; cut into slices. Serve with sauerkraut.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 505 calories, 39g fat (17g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 1426mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 6, 2016
The flavor of the sauerkraut with the apple was amazing. Will definitely be making this again!
Dec 6, 2015
I left out the lemon juice & fennel. Tasted a lot like a dish my grandma used to make!
Oct 27, 2014
Totally difference delicious way to have kielbasa! Sooo very easy!
Oct 22, 2011
Perfect for any Octoberfest celebration! We used Granny Smith apples and turkey smoked sausage.~ Theresa
Sep 11, 2009
Fabulous Fall recipe--my family DIDN'T like sauerkraut they thought--untiol I made this--has become one of our 'staples'. Just perfect sweet and sour balance. Kathy/Kamloops BC Canada