Brats with Sauerkraut
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 8 Johnsonville® Original Brats
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 brat buns, split
- Place the bratwurst in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, apples, bacon, brown sugar, onion and mustard; spoon over bratwurst.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°.
- Place brats in buns; using a slotted spoon, top with sauerkraut mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 534 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1188mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 19, 2017
Loved this! Pretty much going to be what I measure other brats and kraut recipes against.
Aug 10, 2014
This was my first time trying this recipe and it's good. My husband enjoyed and it's a recipe we can make it again.. The only thing we notice is the sauerkraut was very dark in color after it was done nothing like the pic of recipe showing, why is that?
Feb 22, 2014
I'm making this today. I'm a little afraid that there's no liquid in it but I'm going with the recipe anyways but I did double up on the sugar cause I like it sweet so I'll let you know.I'm only giving it three stars cause I haven't tried it yet but it's super simple to make.
Feb 4, 2013
We did not like this. Not sure if I did something wrong but none of us liked. Sorry
Dec 17, 2012
I make this once a week. My family loves it! I use 10 brats, and I add a half of cabbage quartered. Delicious!
Jul 15, 2012
This was delicious! I followed the recipe except used a jumbo onion and a little more brown sugar. Will make again for sure!
Jun 9, 2012
Very good. Nice to come home to on a cold snowy day.
Sep 24, 2011
My friend makes this and it's great!!
Jun 28, 2011
Family loved it! I made this in a slow cooker. It's summer so I substituted 1 cup of apple butter for the apples. Left out mustard & bacon and doubled sugar & onion. This was delicious! A keeper!
Aug 11, 2009
sorry that should be and only add onions and sugar to the kraut.redhead
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.