Mom’s Italian Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef rump roast or bottom round roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 envelopes Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope (0.87 ounce) brown gravy mix
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- Sliced provolone cheese, optional
- Giardiniera, optional
- In a large skillet, brown each roast in oil on all sides. Drain. Transfer meat to a 7-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water, onion, garlic, salad dressing and gravy mixes, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Pour juices into a large bowl. Shred beef with 2 forks; add to bowl. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired.
Freeze option: Cool meat and juices; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired.
Editor's NoteLook for pepperoncini (pickled peppers) in the pickle and olive section of your grocery store.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 450 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 969mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 26, 2016
This is excellent! I decreased the crushed red peppers to 1 Tbs as my family goes easy on spicy foods, and it was still zippy! I will definitely make this again!
Jul 19, 2015
Made this for dinner today as I did not want to cook. I made this with garlic powder instead and I only used 1 T red pepper, it was still too much for my mom and myself. I will leave it out completely next time. I will also increased the Italian seasonings and the dressings next time as there was little flavor from them. I also did not use the rolls, so we had ours on plain bread. My dad wants me to make it again for him with jalapenos, pepperchinis and possibly cheese. I have a lot left over, so it will be portioned and frozen shortly!! It will probably make another 2 meals!
Sep 26, 2013
I liked these sandwiches but I did not love them. I just feel that there is probably a better version of this recipe out there somewhere, they were missing something I can't put my finger on. I probably won't make them again but I definitely didn't hate them. Sorry I can't be more specific than that lol
Oct 22, 2012
This is definitely a keeper!! I halved the recipe since I was trying it for the first time. Cut all ingredients in half and cooked it for 6 hours in the crock pot. My boyfriend is usually not a fan of chuck roasts, but he loved this recipe. I just made it yesterday and he asked if I can make it again next weekend! It was delicious.
Oct 15, 2012
In general, I feel that most slow cooker recipes are either bland or they all taste the same. THIS RECIPE PROVED ME WRONG! Couldn't get enough of this one. Not only were people getting seconds, but thirds! Unbelievably delicious. This one's definitely a KEEPER!!!
Sep 20, 2012
Does anyone know, if I cut the recipe in half, would I still cook it for the same amount of time? It sounds wonderful, but my crockpot is not that big? Thanks for any help.
Jul 21, 2012
This was delicious fresh. Definitely made enough to freeze the leftovers. We ate this on ciabatta rolls with american cheese.
Feb 20, 2012
This was excellent! My husband said it was as good as Al's in Chicago! We will definitely make this again, though I used 1/2 the red pepper flakes suggested because we have a small child. Still very tasty!
Nov 3, 2011
I made this for a carry-in potluck at work. It got rave reviews and everyone asking for the recipe. Next time I make it I will cut back on the crushed red pepper flakes. I like the spice of it but some others didn't really care for it.
Oct 5, 2011
This was really good. The house smelled so good while it was cooking.