Simple Italian Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- 12 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- Cut roast in half; place in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Combine the broth, dressing mix and seasonings; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices; reserve 1 cup juices. Shred beef and return to slow cooker. Stir in reserved cooking juices; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, place beef on bun bottoms; layer with cheese and vegetables. Replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 346 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Dec 26, 2009
Made this for a small fellowship we attend. My husband said it was good and he's difficult to please. I omitted the onion and green pepper for ease of assembling the sandwiches. The cook avoids beef, so she can't comment on the taste.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.