Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
I have fond memories of my mother in the kitchen preparing her amazing beef dip sandwiches. They always made our house smell like an Old World Italian restaurant. And as good as the aroma was, somehow the taste was even better! Set out a jar of giardiniera for spooning on top. —Kira Vosk, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 7 hours
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 boneless beef chuck eye or other boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2 small onions, coarsely chopped
- 9 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 crusty submarine buns or hoagie buns, split partway
- 12 slices provolone or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Giardiniera, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; brown roast on all sides. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onions to stockpot; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds longer. Add wine; cook 3-5 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in stock, thyme, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes; transfer to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until beef is tender.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, preheat oven to 350°. Place peppers in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder and the remaining salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast 15-20 minutes or until softened, stirring halfway.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices into a small saucepan, reserving strained mixture and removing thyme stems. Skim fat from juices; heat through and keep warm. Coarsely shred beef with two forks; stir in reserved strained mixture. If desired, moisten beef with some of the cooking juices.
- To serve, preheat broiler. Arrange buns on baking sheets, cut side up. Broil 3-4 inches from heat until lightly toasted. Remove from oven; top each bun with 2/3 cup beef mixture and 1 slice cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 30 seconds.
- Top with peppers and, if desired, giardiniera. Serve with cooking juices for dipping.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 595 calories, 30g fat (11g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 1134mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 44g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.