Savory Italian Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 10 to 12 Italian rolls or sandwich buns
- Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the basil, oregano and water; pour over roast. Sprinkle with soup mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; shred with two forks and keep warm. Strain broth and skim fat. Serve meat on rolls; use broth for dipping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 321 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 13, 2017
Love this recipe and use it often! After I shred the beef, I return it to the cooker for about another hour. Sometimes I add sliced red peppers for the last half hour (or however long it takes to get them crisp tender). They are a great on top of the sandwich.
May 5, 2015
There were no leftovers in our family wish this dish! Everyone loved these! The only thing I altered was the broth. I didn't think the recipe called so enough liquid so I added a cup of beef stock.
May 24, 2012
This is my sons favorite! I've made it so many times I can't count.
Jan 18, 2012
It was very good the only thing I changed was I used a beef broth in place of the water.
Jun 27, 2011
This is very similar to how I make my roast w/ carrots and potatoes. I also add a whole onion and use 2 or 3 bay leaves instead of the basil and oregano. Tastes great!
Feb 5, 2011
this was very good my Husband said the he wants me to make this again soon !
Feb 28, 2010
I've got my own version of these in the crock pot right now.
Feb 28, 2010
Was very good, would not shred all the meat at once though would save what wasn't used 1st night and use in a stew for another night.