Slow-Cooker Cubano Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin
- 7 tablespoons stone-ground mustard, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pound fully cooked boneless ham steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 jar (16 ounces) whole baby dill pickles, undrained, sliced thick
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 submarine buns, split
- Rub pork with 3 tablespoons mustard, season with pepper and place in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add ham and pickles, including pickle juice. Cover and cook on low until tender, turning halfway through, about 6 hours.
- Shred pork with two forks. Sprinkle cheese over meat mixture; cover and cook until cheese melts, about 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, slice rolls and toast lightly in a toaster oven or broiler. Spread remaining mustard evenly over both sides. Using a slotted spoon, top rolls with meat mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 526 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 1941mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 48g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 10, 2018
These taste exactly like the Cuban sandwiches that our family has enjoyed at restaurants. We prefer the texture of the pickles straight from the jar, so next time I might use the pickle juice in the cooking and then add pickle slices to the finished sandwiches.
Dec 5, 2018
My daughter lived in Florida for a while and discovered Cuban food. When we visited her, she took us to a little shabby neighborhood store that also served sandwiches. It was our first taste of these delicious sandwiches. And it's VERY EASY compared with other recipes I have tried. A little on the dry side, we also added mayo that we placed on the table. But still worth the effort!
Nov 4, 2018
I've made this twice now and it was fantastic! Everyone loved it. The crockpot was scraped clean both times. Be sure to use a top quality swiss cheese. It makes a difference.
Oct 28, 2018
I am not sure why but this recipe just didn't work for us. No one liked it. I thought being a Grand Prize Winner it would be great. The flavors and textures were off.