Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- Chopped tomatoes, minced fresh cilantro and sliced avocado, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cheeses.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, 1 tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through. If desired, serve with optional toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 enchilada: 734 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 1672mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 49g protein.
Apr 25, 2020
Would respectfully disagree with soonrzfan. I'm from NM, and stacked enchiladas are very common there. I have been eating them for about 65 years and making them for over 50 years. They have different ingredients, but the process is pretty much the same. We use corn tortillas for the same reason as jacquiemb, and top it with a soft fried egg.
Jan 11, 2020
I would use corn tortillas in place of the flour one. Flour tortilla do better in dry cooking, like bean burros, quesadillas etc. When cooked with liquid they have a tendency to get a bit doughy. I also like the flavor the corn tortillas add. Thanks for the recipe.
Dec 28, 2019
Looks filling and delicious, but I'll just layer it in a 9 x 9 dish and call it Mexican Casserole because it's nothing close to an enchilada.
Dec 20, 2019
Looks very good, but sorry, these are not enchiladas.......more like Mexican lasagna.
Sep 24, 2019
I added spinach between layers and cream cheese to the meat mixture for some added decadence. It was incredible!
Apr 11, 2019
Great basis for this recipe idea. I use corn tortillas that have been lightly fried in canola and drained, then dipped in enchilada sauce . I start the stack with a bit of enchilada sauce then add the tortilla, meat then cheese. Sometimes this beats rolling up the tortilla with ingredients.
Jul 6, 2018
One of the favorites in my house! Served with some sour cream and fresh guacamole on top! Love it!
Jun 5, 2018
I added a can of enchilada sauce to the diced tomatoes and green chilies. I think it would have been too dry otherwise. I also added cilantro. Since I added more sauce, I also added more corn tortillas. Didn't use kidney beans but Ranch beans instead, along with the black beans. A can of Mexi-corn is also good in this.
Apr 3, 2018
This ended up being just one big hot mess.
Mar 2, 2018
No.... This recipe is wrong on several levels. Kidney beans in enchiladas? No Enchilada sauce or Mexican Chile? Heat your ingredients in the pan, layer them with CORN tortillas and put them in a regular oven. It will be done in the oven in 20-30 minutes, not 5 hours and you won't have soggy gloppy flour tortilla soup.