Slow Cooker Enchiladas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cheeses.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 enchilada: 734 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 1672mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 49g protein.
Jul 6, 2018
One of the favorites in my house! Served with some sour cream and fresh guacamole on top! Love it!
Jun 5, 2018
I added a can of enchilada sauce to the diced tomatoes and green chilies. I think it would have been too dry otherwise. I also added cilantro. Since I added more sauce, I also added more corn tortillas. Didn't use kidney beans but Ranch beans instead, along with the black beans. A can of Mexi-corn is also good in this.
Apr 3, 2018
This ended up being just one big hot mess.
Mar 2, 2018
No.... This recipe is wrong on several levels. Kidney beans in enchiladas? No Enchilada sauce or Mexican Chile? Heat your ingredients in the pan, layer them with CORN tortillas and put them in a regular oven. It will be done in the oven in 20-30 minutes, not 5 hours and you won't have soggy gloppy flour tortilla soup.
Jan 14, 2018
This was disappointing. It needs more flavor. The pictured one was obviously NOT made in a slow cooker, for there is no way to get it out all neat and stacked up like that. The bottom burns, the top is nicely browned, and the tortillas in the middle are a soggy mess! I expect better from Taste of Home Recipes!!Those who baked this, how long, what temp, and what did you bake it in?
Jan 14, 2018
Using corm tortilla would be better and I used two cans of chili instead of the two cans of different beans and topped with taco sauce at the table. Next time will sub the water with enchillada sauce.
Nov 30, 2017
My son loved this and always ask me to make it.
Aug 5, 2017
The ingredients sounded wonderful until I got down to flour tortillas. Yuck. I would definitely use corn instead. The texture and taste would be much better.
Mar 8, 2017
Bake in oven instead of slow cooker for best results
Feb 1, 2017
This sounds so good but, I have a very severe gluten allergy so I'm wondering if substituting corn tortillas for the flour would be good. Has anyone tried this?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.