Slow-Cooker Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Pie
My husband likes some heat in our meals, but our children—not so much. This is the best of both worlds. Serve with additional chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream if desired. —Dana Beery, Ione, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours + standing
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) mild green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 to 4-1/2 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 9 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional: Minced fresh cilantro, lime wedges, salsa and sour cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Cut three 30x6-inch strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a round 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray. Spread 1/4 cup chicken mixture over bottom of slow cooker. Top with 3 tortillas, overlapping and tearing them to fit, a third of the chicken mixture and a third of the cheese. Repeat twice.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads 165°, about 4 hours. To avoid scorching, rotate slow cooker insert one-half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts. Turn off slow cooker; let stand, uncovered, 15 minutes before serving. Using foil strips as handles, remove pie to a platter. Cut into wedges. If desired, serve with additional cilantro, salsa, sour cream and lime wedges.
Test Kitchen tips