Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cut three 25-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, cook the meat crumbles, onion and green pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in both cans of beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In prepared slow cooker, layer about a cup of bean mixture, one tortilla and 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers five times. Cover and cook on low until heated through and cheese is melted, 4-5 hours. (To avoid scorching, rotate slow cooker insert one-half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts.)
- Using foil strips as handles, remove the pie to a platter.
Editor's NoteVegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source made from soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 367 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Sep 5, 2017
I would like to have this without any toatoew, any suggestions?
Sep 12, 2015
Loved this meal! I personally chose to use ground beef instead of the meatless crumbles because I couldn't find them. I found it to be delicious and have made it several times!
Mar 7, 2011
I have to say, I worried about it, but it was pretty good. I put a little salsa and sour cream on it and used ground chicken since my husband didn't like the idea of the crumbles. It was a hit with everyone except my 10 year old. I don't think chili powder is his thing. But he ate it anyway.
Jan 26, 2011
My family loved it...it came out perfect---
Dec 31, 2010
Oops! I forgot to click on the rating stars!
Dec 31, 2010
When I make chili I do not use beans - I've never been crazy about beans. I've not used the veggie meat crumbles before. But I have vowed to change my eating habits in 2011, and this recipe was definitely outside my comfort zone. I really wasn't expecting to like it! Having said all that . . . I LOVE THIS DISH! I will definitely make it again and I will be sharing it with family and friends!
Dec 11, 2010
I used ground beef instead of the faux meat crumbles but we didn't care for this at all. Maybe if it had salsa and sour cream on top of it.
Dec 8, 2010
Absolutely wonderful in and amazingly easy. Only thing I did different was I did make it with ground beef.