Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup reduced-fat Monterey Jack or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- In a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, green chilies and onion mixture.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and coriander. Add broth; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Stir 3/4 cup sauce into chicken mixture.
- Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 383 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 5, 2017
Very good, I like spice so we added poblanos. Otherwise stuck to the recipe and it was great!
Sep 7, 2014
Not too spicy for those with sensitive taste.
Feb 20, 2014
I made the following adjustments as well. I sauted my green pepper and onion in a smidge of olive oil and used 2 T butter as the roux base for the sauce mixed with 2 T flour instead of the 1/4 cup flour. Then I used half milk ( 2%) and half stock for the liquid to make the sauce a bit more creamy and smooth. I also used smoked cumin instead of coriander. Cut the sour cream to 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup too since I had a smooth base to start with anyway.To the chicken vegetable mixture I added some additional spice with a bit of fresh garlic and next time I will add some diced jalapeno to kick it up. My biggest complaint is that the corn tortillas I used cracked when rolled (yes I warmed them). It may have been the brand, I salvaged the stuffing - heated the tortillas until hot and steamy and then rolled them and they were fine.For cheese - next time I think I will use a blend of jalapeno jack or even some queso cheese.Certainly will make it again with the adjustments I noted.
May 20, 2013
This was very bland! We had to cover it with salsa just to give it some flavor.
Apr 23, 2013
wow, these enchiladas are terrific! that sauce is what really makes it, and I thought mine were the best, I have incorporated this recipe with my own, and boy-what a match
Dec 9, 2012
Very rich flavor. Worth the time tgo make the sauce rather than open a can of dull cream of whatever soup.
Oct 25, 2012
My boyfriend is so picky about food he will only eat basic meat and potatoes the only vegi"s he will eat is broccoli and greenbeans. I have looking for more ways to cook different recipes and i made this dish and he absolutely loved it. He ask for it again already, it"s only been 4 days. Bonnie Reynolds, Madison Wi
Aug 24, 2012
I love this recipe its simiple and easy.
Apr 20, 2012
This is one of our favorite recipes. I use fat-free sour cream. Easy and very authentic tasting!!!
Dec 9, 2011
perfect add a litttle extra sauce
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.