Beef Enchilada Lasagna Casserole
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups Daisy 4% cottage cheese
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), cut in half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, enchilada sauce and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and cottage cheese; set aside. Spread a third of the meat sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the tortillas, cottage cheese mixture, cheese blend and a third of the meat sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 387 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Nov 2, 2019
We did not care for this dish. It lacked flavor and the tortillas were over-whelming. We doused it with Chipotle Tabasco sauce which helped a bit. I thought it would taste more like enchiladas, but could barely taste the enchilada.
Mar 18, 2019
Family loved it. I used 2 lbs of meat, corn tortillas, and 2 cans of enchilada sauce.
Mar 29, 2017
Made this recipe and got rave reviews. I used 2 lbs. of hamburger and this made it really meaty.
Jul 20, 2015
My sentiments exactly BeMoWe. In New Mexico we use corn tortillas instead of the flour tortillas and use a real red chile sauce. Much more flavorful. A green chile sauce can be substituted for the red, if you prefer.
Apr 20, 2015
I followed this exactly. The flavor didn't remind me of enchiladas - more like several other ground beef casseroles I have had. But the part that really disappointed me was how incredibly soggy and pasty the tortillas in the middle layer were! If I make this again, I will only put the tortillas on the top, just below a layer of grated cheese.
Nov 19, 2014
Love love love! I used cooked lasagna noodles instead of tortillas because we didn't like how mushy the tortillas got. And for sure 2 teaspoons of cumin. One of our favorite dishes! We make this a lot. I serve on top pico de gallo made of tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
Dec 8, 2013
Dinner tonight was fabulous, thanks! I didn't make any changes and turned out a favorite. Husband literally licked his plate. The flavor wasn't overpowering, but just spicy enough and enjoyed the cottage cheese mixture. Will be making again for sure.
Nov 17, 2013
Easy to make and so good! I loved it and so did my family! Would definitely make this recipe again!
Nov 7, 2013
I thought this was just ok. It wasn't as flavorful as I thought it would be. I would consider it to be more like a burrito than an enchilada.
Oct 28, 2013
Great fall recipe. I also used corn tortillas !!!!