Vegetarian Enchilada Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini and pepper in oil until pepper is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the corn, beans, salt and cumin; saute 2-3 minutes longer. Stir in salsa and cilantro.
- Place a tortilla in the bottom of a 1-1/2-qt. round baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread with 2/3 cup vegetable mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calulated without sour cream): 286 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 676mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Jan 24, 2018
We try vegetarian recipes from time to time and don't miss the meat...this time I chose to make this for dinner but added 1/4 lb. extra lean gr. beef that I found hidden in the back of the freezer. I added 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning when browning the meat. This is really delicious and will try it without the meat next time. You can add other veggies as well. The zucchini disappeared during cooking so anyone who doesn't like it won't even know it's there. Very versatile recipe.
Jun 6, 2016
I made this recipe for a vegetarian friend and she loved it. I used Mexican corn and a little more jalape?o for spice.
Apr 22, 2015
This was very good, but you have to make sure that the cheddar is actually vegetarian, since most cheddar cheese contains rennet in them.
Apr 8, 2013
I was looking for a one pot meal that was Vegetarian. I don't eat meat, but my teen boys do and they didn't even miss the meat. This was excellent! Thank you!
Mar 7, 2012
Really good! I would probably use a little more in the way of spices, but in general it was tasty. I used homemade tortillas for this(my first attempt) and it turned out fairly well. I used mild salsa, might try it next time with a smidgen of green chiles added to the salsa.
Dec 26, 2011
Excellent! Just replace the Cheddar cheese and it's vegan.
Mar 12, 2011
I made it as is and it is good, but next time I will add more spices as we prefer our mexican food spicy. Good dish for lent.
Sep 24, 2010
This was awesome. I added chopped onion and crushed red pepper. I also added more cumin. I will make this on a regular basis.
Sep 22, 2010
You would never know this has zucchini in it! My husband doesn't like zucchini but thought this was really good. I doubled recipe...used oval baking dish and baked longer...I will be making again.
Sep 20, 2010
Our family enjoys this sort of dinner and when I saw it was vegetarian it was a sure hit for my non meat eating grown daughter who was visiting this noon. I added a tablespoon or so of shelled sunflower seeds for an extra crunch and to complete protein. This was a very quick but delicious recipe for a September day!