Roasted Vegetable Strata
With the abundance of zucchini my family has in the fall, this is the perfect dish to use what we have. Cheesy and rich, this is a warm, classic breakfast dish sure to please! —Colleen Doucette, Truro, Nova Scotia
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 3 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 each medium red, yellow and orange peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced crusty Italian bread
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss zucchini and peppers with oil and seasonings; transfer to a 15x10x1-in. pan. Roast until tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring once. Stir in tomato; cool slightly.
- Trim ends from bread; cut bread into 1-in. slices. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread, roasted vegetables and cheeses. Repeat layers. Whisk together eggs and milk; pour evenly over top. Refrigerate, covered, 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 40-50 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 349 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Oct 19, 2017
Did I miss it? What do I do with the tomato
Sep 18, 2017
horrible, like eating bread pudding...i used 8 instead of 6 eaggs and still not enough to cover
Jul 29, 2017
Very good, I added some eggplant in place of some of the zucchini.