Southwest Vegetarian Bake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place beans, corn, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and rice in a large bowl; stir in salsa, sour cream and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese; bake, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 285 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 759mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Jan 20, 2020
For those of you that have made this. How do you think a little cilantro would be in it.? Making it for a potluck.
Jan 2, 2020
I found it too bland
Dec 4, 2019
Thanks for the tasty recipe. My daughter has a rice allergy so I used quinoa instead (cooked in a rice cooker with veggie stock). I added half of a chipotle pepper and a tablespoon of the chipotle adobo sauce, regular diced tomatoes(what I had on hand), taco seasoning, And sautéed onion garlic and bell pepper. It turned out well and all my carnivores loved it!
Nov 3, 2019
Excellent basic recipe!
Jul 5, 2019
Great casserole - will definitely make again.
Jun 9, 2019
Outstandingly good. Based on the comments, I did add one packet of taco seasoning to the water for the rice and one packet of taco seasoning when mixing the ingredients together. I also added a can of pinto beans and a bit more sour cream, nothing reduced-fat. I had some yellow onions I wanted to use up, so I diced them in with the rest of the ingredients and saved the red onions for sprinkling on top. Everyone wanted second helpings.
Apr 27, 2019
Very quick and easy to make vegetarian dish. It makes a lot so there were leftovers.
Feb 28, 2018
This was good. I also added some taco seasoning. Next time I will spice it up a little more with a medium salsa or chilies. Leftovers were better! Thanks for sharing!
Dec 2, 2017
This was wonderful!! My husband was skeptical because there is no meat, but he said, "Please make it again!" I did add taco seasoning after reading the reviews. We liked it the first night and the leftovers heated well. I think it would be good in a wrap or eaten with tortilla chips.
Oct 25, 2017
FIVE STAR!!! Fantastic and so easy to make. I did saute sweet pepper, onion and green chilies before adding and also used kidney beans instead (taste perferance)