Southwest Vegetarian Bake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place beans, corn, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and rice in a large bowl; stir in salsa, sour cream and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese; bake, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 285 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 759mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Feb 28, 2018
This was good. I also added some taco seasoning. Next time I will spice it up a little more with a medium salsa or chilies. Leftovers were better! Thanks for sharing!
Dec 2, 2017
This was wonderful!! My husband was skeptical because there is no meat, but he said, "Please make it again!" I did add taco seasoning after reading the reviews. We liked it the first night and the leftovers heated well. I think it would be good in a wrap or eaten with tortilla chips.
Oct 25, 2017
FIVE STAR!!! Fantastic and so easy to make. I did saute sweet pepper, onion and green chilies before adding and also used kidney beans instead (taste perferance)
May 8, 2017
Pros: Easy to make, family favorite, not terribly unhealthy.Cons: Takes an hour to make and NEVER any leftovers.I usually double the recipe because my family of three cannot get enough of this casserole! :)
Apr 8, 2017
Easy and good.
Mar 15, 2017
This was so easy and tasty! I added some taco seasoning. This is so versatile - you could add avocados on top, etc. Thanks for sharing!!
Feb 10, 2017
This recipe is absolutely wonderful! So extremely flavorful!
Jan 28, 2017
Great dish. After reading the comments, I added a few teaspoons of low sodium taco seasoning, and used 1 can of low sodium pinto beans and a can of low sodium cannellini beans. I used the diced tomatoes with celery, garlic and onions and added some minced garlic. This recipe is a keeper!
Jan 24, 2017
Delicious! I doubled the amount of rice and added a few tablespoons of taco seasoning and it was great!
Jan 10, 2017
This dish had great flavor. Unfortunately I undercooked the rice a little. I will make again of course with the rice cooked properly
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.