Southwestern Breakfast Slow-Cooker Casserole
I created this recipe for a breakfast-for-dinner meal one day, and now it’s become a favorite on chilly mornings. Such a wonderful aroma! Using extra-sharp cheddar cheese instead of the milder types allows you to use less, while giving you an extra boost of flavor. —Lisa Renshaw, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 4 large eggs
- 8 large egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (7 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, lightly toasted and cubed
- Pico de gallo, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together first 7 ingredients. Stir in beans, corn, ham, cheese and chiles. Stir in bread to moisten. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Cook, covered, on low until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours. Let stand, uncovered, 10 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with pico de gallo.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 270 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Southwestern Breakfast Slow-Cooker Casserole in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.