Southwest Shepherd’s Pie
This a wonderfully portioned dish which can be served alone or with a side salad and cornbread. It has a delicious flavor with spice!—Veronica Greco, Tampa, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup medium salsa
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, salsa, green chilies and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; heat through. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a greased 4-cup baking dish; sprinkle with corn.
- Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl. Mash potatoes with butter and remaining salt and pepper. Spread over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 694 calories, 36g fat (23g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 1365mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as Tex Mex Sheppards Pie in Reminisce Extra May 2009