Black Beans with Bell Peppers & Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 each medium sweet yellow, orange and red pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion and garlic; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add beans, rice, cumin and oregano; heat through.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 347 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Jun 27, 2017
Tasty, delicate seasonings. I had two red peppers and a yellow pepper, so that's what I used.
Mar 18, 2015
This meal was a very quick,cheap, and easy to put together. That was the plus about it. But for my family's preference we did not prefer this as a meal. My husband and I agreed it needed more flavor. We added hot sauce to it and that made it very delicious. My husband also thinks this would be great with cooked steak chopped up in it.
Jan 25, 2015
This was yummy! I did not have fresh cilantro so I added extra cumin, oregano and salt.