Vegetarian Tortilla Lasagna
You won't miss the meat in this savory delight. The layered main course is as tasty as it is impressive. Serve warm wedges alongside tortilla chips or a green salad.—Connie L McDowell, Greenwood, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- Cut three 25x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a round 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, salsa, tomato paste and cumin. Stir in hominy and beans. Place one tortilla on the bottom of slow cooker. Top with a third of the hominy mixture and cheese. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with olives. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until heated through.
- Using foil strips as handles, remove the lasagna to a platter. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 329 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1286mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Layered Mexican Style Casserole in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.