Potluck Taco Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups biscuit/baking mix
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Spoon meat into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Stir in biscuit mix and pepper. Pour over meat. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5-10 minutes.
- Spread sour cream over top; sprinkle with lettuce, tomato, green pepper, onions and cheese.
Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Cool for 5-10 minutes, then top as directed.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 472 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 205mg cholesterol, 1360mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Jun 22, 2020
This dish is delicious. Hubby says it's a keeper. The sour cream and other toppings I placed on the side for everyone to add on to their dish as they wanted.
Mar 13, 2020
This is a great and easy meal. We both loved it.
Nov 4, 2019
This recipe turned out great. The whole family enjoyef thoroughly. I made a couple of changes, I sliced the peppers (1 red and 2 green) in to thin strips and sauteed on medium while cooking the meat then added them along with about a cup of Mexican blend cheese to the meat while still in the pan. Stirred until the cheese was melted, then added the meat to the dish as instucted. All in all, a great success!
Oct 23, 2019
We had this delicious casserole for dinner tonight. I halved the recipe for the two of us and used some taco meat I had left over from tacos the other night. Perfect. We loved this recipe and it is so quick and easy. I may sub chopped green chilies for the green pepper next time. Lots of possibilities. Volunteer Field Editor
Aug 21, 2019
Yes, definitely could be cut in half. I used a 9 x 9 dish.
Aug 18, 2019
Can this recipe be cut in half for a 21 x 21 cm baking dish?
Feb 1, 2019
My husband and I love this casserole. It is quick, easy, and yummy! It has become my go to recipe for our taco Tuesday meals. Thanks for sharing!
Apr 29, 2018
This was very good but if not entirely eaten you can’t reheat with sour cream and lettuce on top. Much easier to make tacos and let everyone do their own thing - adding whatever ingredients they wish. If you’re sure you’re entire the entire casserole will be eaten this is a great recipe.
Oct 16, 2017
This was a very good casserole. For those who have hunters in the family, I used ground deer meat instead ofhamburger. My husband loved this dish!
May 24, 2017
Have made this a couple of times and it was quite tasty. Kind of like taco pie.