Potluck Taco Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups biscuit/baking mix
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Spoon meat into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Stir in biscuit mix and pepper. Pour over meat. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5-10 minutes.
- Spread sour cream over top; sprinkle with lettuce, tomato, green pepper, onions and cheese. Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Cool for 5-10 minutes, then top as directed.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 472 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 205mg cholesterol, 1360mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Apr 29, 2018
This was very good but if not entirely eaten you can’t reheat with sour cream and lettuce on top. Much easier to make tacos and let everyone do their own thing - adding whatever ingredients they wish. If you’re sure you’re entire the entire casserole will be eaten this is a great recipe.
Oct 16, 2017
This was a very good casserole. For those who have hunters in the family, I used ground deer meat instead ofhamburger. My husband loved this dish!
May 24, 2017
Have made this a couple of times and it was quite tasty. Kind of like taco pie. I_Fortuna, it's a casserole, dear, not tacos. I'm so happy you like your tacos and I'm sure they're very nice, too. How gauche of all of us "great unwashed" to stoop to using taco seasoning!
May 24, 2017
I am sure this is tasty but I don't understand why one would not use corn tortillas for this recipe. There is no resemblance to a taco otherwise. Tacos are traditionally not made with seasoning. Usually they are topped with pico de gallo and optional lime wedges. If you must use seasoning make your own. I use chile powder, cumin and oregano when making my enchilada sauce. If you want more flavor add onion, chicken or beef broth instead of salsa.Our tacos are fried or broiled pulled pork (carnitas) or shredded beef (carne asada). All use corn tortilla.
Apr 27, 2017
I've tried both topping but the underneath side doesn't get done. Stays soggy. What am i doing wrong?
Jul 25, 2016
@pwilliams03 I add a layer of ground pork or beef chorizo and spicy refried beans to mine. Sometimes add a layer of wild grain rice too. Make sure you find the ground chorizo not the nasty stuff in a tube which is soggy. I like spicy foods anyway so I always add plain old Tabasco sauce to the meats when I am frying them up
May 25, 2016
I have making this for years. My kids most requested recipe even as adults. I made a few adds over the year. Add half a can of jalepeno and half a can of green chiles. Sometimes a cup of corn in the batter. Bake and spread a can of refried beans and cook another ten minutes. Add all the toppings and serve. I only use a pound of hamburger and it's awesome!
May 25, 2016
This was very tasty but a little dry I think I will add a little salsa next time.As someone else suggested I used cornbread instead of the biscuit topping .I also added a little frozen corn and everyone added their own toppings.
May 24, 2016
Haven't tried it yet but will. How about corn bread mix instead of biscuit.
Apr 7, 2016
I made exactly as written. It was good, however, it could benefit from a little more flavor. I was thinking maybe adding salsa...any other suggestions in kicking it up a notch? Thanks!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.