Beef Taco Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
Makes2 casseroles (8 servings each)
- 24 lasagna noodles
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 8 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) chunky salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning. In a small bowl, combine egg whites and ricotta cheese. Drain noodles.
- In each of two 13x9-in. baking dishes, layer four noodles, 3/4 cup ricotta mixture, one quarter of the beef mixture and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Top each with four noodles, 3/4 cup ricotta mixture, 1-1/2 cups salsa and 1 cup cheese. Repeat.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked lasagna. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake lasagna as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 545 calories, 26g fat (17g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 1198mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Feb 6, 2017
A delicious, filling addition to our dinner routine. Fairly easy to make but dirties a lot of dishes in the process. This can be as mild or spicy (hot) as you wish depending on the salsa and taco seasoning you use. Since there were only 2 of us eating, we cut the recipe in half, had 2 meals from that, and then sent a half pan to our daughter and her family. My only complaint was that this recipe, as written, comes out very heavy on the pasta. I would like more meat and will probably double the ground beef next time.
Jan 21, 2017
Just made this for dinner. Very good only made 1 9 x 13 pan. The only thing I did different was use cottage cheese and add water to the hamburger seasoning after some people said it was dry. I will be making this again.
Aug 17, 2016
I made my usual lasagna recipe. Just used taco flavored meat, Mexican cheese and 2 large bottles of taco sauce. AWESOME! Family loved it!
Apr 8, 2016
This was great. A different play on tacos! I only made one pan. I will make this again!
Oct 20, 2015
this was very good and will definitely make again - i halved the entire recipe for one pan as i didn't want to freeze one.... so while i cut all measurements in half i found my 13x9 pan could only hold 3 lasagna noodles at a time (on each layer) and i used 2 full jars (24 oz each) of the salsa (which in the recipe that would be total for 2 pans) but i felt 1 was NOT enough as the top layer i added the little that was left in the jar and knew it would dry out so opened another i had and added it to top and then baked - after 20 mns i took out and put more on top where i saw it dry - then added the cheese and fresh cilantro on top - also i used cheddar pepperjack cheese and next time i may add some black beans to the beef mixture to bulk it up more - otherwise its perfect! mmmmmmmmm
Sep 28, 2015
I didn't have ne lasagna noodles or ricotta cheese - so I used penne noodles and cottage cheese & well it turned out looking a lot better than the photos here... seemed to have a better firmness and every1 loved it and NO leftovers... good thing I made 2!
Sep 14, 2015
My family enjoyed this dish and I liked that I can make it as spicy as I wanted with the type of salsa and seasonings I use. I would agree with other reviews that this would be better written using one pan measurements and simply stating it is easy to double.Great overall!
Feb 25, 2015
My family all ate this dish, but I didn't get any raves. I agree with the other reviewers that you need to use oven ready noodles or boil them as directed. I used 2 entire jars of salsa in one 13x9 dish, and I thought it may need another jar...it was a bit dry. All the flavors were there and I loved the concept of a Taco Lasagna, but this recipe was just ok.
Nov 20, 2014
Made this tonight!! Used cottage cheese instead of ricotta!! It was great.
Nov 10, 2014
Has anyone tried this using a small curd cottage cheese instead of the ricotta? I'm just not a big fan of ricotta.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.