Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 small onion, sliced
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, taco seasoning, garlic powder and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream and chili powder. In a large bowl, combine cheeses; set aside. Sprinkle cornmeal into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Arrange five tortillas, overlapping, in the bottom of prepared dish; spread with 1/2 cup salsa. Layer with half of the meat mixture, onion and sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 568 calories, 36g fat (21g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 1180mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein.
Mar 4, 2018
This was pretty good. The bottom got kind of hard and was tough to cut through. Definitely need to give this time to rest and cool before eating. Eat too soon and you risk losing the roof of your mouth!
Feb 17, 2018
Wonderful recipe! Very tasty and filling. I added sliced black olives and 1 cup black beans. Yum!
Jun 22, 2016
This was ok. I wanted more to it.
Jun 19, 2015
Even my picky kid who doesn't usually like tacos liked this one. I did make some changes. I cooked diced onion and peppers with the meat and omitted the garlic and cayenne (1.5# of meat). Used HEB "That green sauce" in the sour cream instead of chili powder, and only used sharp cheddar cheese.
Mar 24, 2014
My family gave it 5 thumbs up! Even my foreign exchange student from Mexico thought it was great!
Jan 19, 2014
This would probably be good; would definitely ditch chili powder, and use only small amt. taco seasoning. Instead of salsa would use mild Pace picante sauce. Some folks may say *what's point of making if not following directions*.
Jul 25, 2012
This was really good! I made a few adjustments. I didn't have corn meal, so I sprayed the baking dish with pam--no problems. As a matter of fact, the bottom tortilla layer browned and got crispy--very good! I added an onion and minced garlic to the meat while it was cooking (didn't add the garlic powder or fresh onion to the casserole layer), and I added a can of whole pinto beans and a small can of chopped green chilies to the meat mixture after it was cooked.
Jul 5, 2012
This was a very popular dish even with my 7 picky eaters!
Jun 19, 2012
Mar 30, 2012
Awesome! I used mild cheddar cheese and it turned out delicious!