Light Mexican Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the water, flour, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, combine beans and salsa. Place two tortillas in a round 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the beef mixture, bean mixture and corn; repeat layers. Top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with lettuce and tomatoes if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without lettuce and tomatoes): 367 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Dec 28, 2015
I make this recipe even healthier by switching out the refried beans with black beans. Tastes delicious, is healthier, and my whole family loves it.
Jun 19, 2014
Delicious! Very impressed with how tasty this was. I liked having the lettuce and tomato served on the side so people could help themselves. This dish even warmed up nice the next day in a low oven without drying out the tortillas (only 2 of us so leftovers are a usual staple)
Jun 25, 2012
This recipe is a winner! Easy to make and very tasty. We will be making this again, very soon.
May 12, 2012
My family loves this tasty recipe! They are constantly asking me to make it. The flavors together make a delious dish!
Mar 16, 2012
Next time we are only going to use 1 tortilla on the bottom, it was too thick to try and fork-cut it. Super Nummy.
Mar 2, 2012
Took awhile to make but it was really good. I used ground turkey and it still tasted great!
Mar 2, 2012
Not liking beans I used wild rice and made a couple other minor changes based on what was in my cupboards. My family loved it overall and I think it will be a keeper.
Feb 24, 2012
This was VERY easy to make, short prep and cooking time, and it tastes amazing! This is not soggy, and it has amazing flavor. I am going to use this seasoning mix for the next time I make tacos. This is the first mexican casserole that I have made that had good flavor and wasn't soggy. I made it with 2 layers and cheese on top.
Feb 20, 2012
Had company for dinner. Made this for first time. Used refried black beans and red, not green, pepper. It was wonderful. Left out the garlic powder due to personal problem with it. The others used garlic salt at table. Will make this again.
Feb 1, 2012
I made this last night and it was delicious. I initially forgot to add the seasoning but was able to salvage that at the last minute and it worked. I also used corn tortillas as I find they hold up well in casseroles. Can't wait to make again!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.