Quick Mexican Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) small white beans or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Crumbled queso fresco and additional cilantro, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. If desired, top with cheese and additional cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 214 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 893mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 12g fiber), 14g protein.
May 9, 2018
This was a good-tasting soup. My son plans to take it to work tomorrow. I recommend it to anyone less than 70. I will be 71 next month, that is, if I don't eat anymore of this soup.
Mar 19, 2018
A very quick soup - but delicious and filling - and good for you! Even my husband, who is not such a big bean eater, thought it was very good. I used dehydrated onions since I did not have onion powder. And because my husband does not care for the size of butter beans, I chopped them up before adding them. I think it made the soup a little thicker/creamier.
Mar 10, 2018
I agree with ms11145: you can use just about any beans -- chili or kidney or pinto. I hate butter beans. :-) I also put grated cheddar cheese on top.
Jan 15, 2018
Since I didn't have butter beans, I used a can of chili beans. I also added a can of mexicorn for added taste and texture. I made this in the IP and used the soup/chili function with 0 minutes. Wonderful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.