Bean Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, one can of beans, broccoli and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes.
- Place remaining beans in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add to the soup with spinach if desired; simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 174 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 914mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 16, 2018
This is a really good soup! AND it is super easy to make. In my mind, that deserves a 5/5. I did make some changes only because of what I had on hand. I used half low sodium vegetable broth and half low sodium chicken broth, frozen broccoli, and white kidney beans. I also added some mushrooms I was needing to use up. I ate it with three seed crackers and a glass of pinot noir. Yum, yum! Thanks for sharing!
Oct 16, 2017
Very good soup. I did add spinach which makes it much tastier and healthy.
May 15, 2011
good good good