Bean Vegetable Soup
Beans add extra texture and flavor to this vegetable soup. This soup is light in calories yet packed with flavor. —Bean Education and Awareness Network, Scottsbluff, Nebraska
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, one can of beans, broccoli and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes.
- Place remaining beans in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add to the soup with spinach if desired; simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 174 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 914mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Bean Soup in Country Woman January/February 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.