Bean Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, one can of beans, broccoli and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes.
- Place remaining beans in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add to the soup with spinach if desired; simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 174 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 914mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 15, 2019
So I thought this would be a great soup to try since I had all the ingredients however I also added extra to the ingredients. I added some fresh sliced mushrooms, I did one can navy bean and one can northern (for variety) and I also added turmeric, coriander and paprika plus I tossed in 3 dried tomatoes for flavor and I have to say it was phenomenal. I also used real rosemary from an organic plant I just bought and the flavors were magnificent. My picky son is gonna love it!
Dec 16, 2018
This is a really good soup! AND it is super easy to make. In my mind, that deserves a 5/5. I did make some changes only because of what I had on hand. I used half low sodium vegetable broth and half low sodium chicken broth, frozen broccoli, and white kidney beans. I also added some mushrooms I was needing to use up. I ate it with three seed crackers and a glass of pinot noir. Yum, yum! Thanks for sharing!
Oct 16, 2017
Very good soup. I did add spinach which makes it much tastier and healthy.
May 15, 2011
good good good