Green Bean Soup
This soup has been passed down for generations beginning with my great-grandmother. I make it often, especially when I can use homegrown beans, carrots, onions and potatoes.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh savory or 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Before serving, remove bay leaf and parsley and savory sprigs.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 107 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Green Bean Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook