Pasta Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrot and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, pasta, sugar, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add the beans and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 295 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 1208mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Aug 23, 2014
So good and easy to make.
Jan 19, 2014
Jul 4, 2013
80 F today. This soup would not only be good for a winter meal, but had to try it and it was awesome even in the heat. Love this stuff !
Jan 8, 2013
We loved this soup. I did add a cooked pound of ground beef I had hanging out in the freezer and I think it made it better, but it would have been great without it. I love bean soups with tomatoes and is one of the better recipes I've tried.I was on the phone with my adult son while eating it (why do they always call when you're sitting down to dinner?) and I told him how delicious it was and how it was the best meal I've ever made, which wasn't much of an exaggeration. It really is that good.
Feb 13, 2012
Reminds me of a good minestrone; very hearty and rather tasty.
Jan 29, 2012
This was easy and delicious. I always have these ingredients on hand so it goes together quickly. It was hearty and flavorful - everyone in the family wants me to make it often.
Jan 27, 2012
My husband and I loved this soup. I used Italian Style crushed tomatoes and omitted the Italian seasoning.
Jan 26, 2012
I'd give 5 stars if I'd been able to follow the recipe exactly. But I had to use small macaroni, added a cup of water since it had to sit for a while, and used one can of navy and one can of canary beans as these were the only canned white beans I had on hand. GREAT soup - husband loved it. Just the two of us, so he added one pound of browned hamburger meat and another teaspoon of italian seasoning the next day - good stuff.
Jan 23, 2012
this soup was delicious, enjoyed by all. I did substitute organic spinach for the celery and added some kosher salt.
Jan 22, 2012
Great soup! Nice and thick, no one even noticed there was no meat in it. I substituted basil, garlic and oregano flavored diced tomatoes for the crushed tomatoes and added sliced cabbage.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.