Mixed Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 package (12 ounces) mixed dried beans
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Pepper to taste
- Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Add water to the beans; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 162 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 16, 2020
First time, this was ok....but the next time, i doctored it up and it was fantastic. To begin I doubled the recipe. And used half water and half vegetable broth. Then i used 1/2 lb. ground beef, and 12 oz Italian sweet sausage. I used 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, and 2 of just regular canned tomatoes. Let that simmer a bit. I didnt use near the salt that was called for, i used maybe 1 tsp. But I did add 2 chicken bouillon cubes, 1/2 package taco seasoning, some extra red pepper flakes, 1 tsp. paprika, and maybe 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, along with some garlic. Was quite good after that. i will make again my way. So 3 stars for original recipe, but 5 for mine. So rounded out to 4 total.
Jan 10, 2016
I like that this tastes good and is healthy but it's not outstanding. I will probably make it again sometime.
Sep 12, 2013
Jan 14, 2013
I'm in the UK, and used the "Exotic Bean Mix" from Morrison's supermarket to make this. Really nice soup (and I'd never made bean soup before; I'm more of a lentil specialist). Delicious soup, just right for a cold winter day.One point: I added the specified 1 tbsp of salt then tasted the soup immediately. I was horrified at how salty it was. However after 2 hours of simmering the beans, which had been cooked without salt up till then, had absorbed the salt and the soup's seasoning was perfect. Clever cooking.
Feb 2, 2010
Since I live alone, I split this recipe and I still had extra to freeze. This is excellent for cold winter days. The only change I made was to use stewed tomatoes instead of the ordinary diced tomatoes. This is a winner for sure.