Kidney Bean Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking barley
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the barley and vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 103 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 939mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 20, 2011
This has been a staple in our meal plan since we first got the recipe in 2002! It is very easy to make and easy to adapt to what you have on hand in the vegetable drawer. We almost always use baby carrots which cuts down chopping time, but I add more than the recipe calls for, as well as extra celery, garlic, onions, and spinach. (We like our soup with LOTS of veggies). Have never been able to find the quick-cooking barley, so I use the regular barley and cook everything longer - practically a foolproof recipe! All 3 kids love it, too, yum!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.