Fiesta Bean Casserole
Karen Tjelmeland of Ely, Iowa, writes, “I don’t recall its origin, but I have had this recipe for many years.” A Triscuit cracker crust makes it a unique meatless option.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 Triscuits or other crackers
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- Sour cream and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the beans, onion, green chilies and cumin. Place eight crackers in an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Top with half of the bean mixture; layer with remaining crackers and bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, mayonnaise and egg; pour over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve with sour cream and olives if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 561 calories, 31g fat (10g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 1103mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein.
Apr 9, 2012
I ended up making this in an 8x8 dish with just one layer. It is a little bland for my taste but chives added a little more flavor. Next time I'll use garlic, chives, and maybe throw on some chopped tomatoes before serving.