Kidney Beans and Rice
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 252 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Mar 4, 2014
Very tasty, very healthful, very easy. I used brown rice and precooked it.
Dec 9, 2013
It was fine considering it is a recipe for beans and rice. Healthy, cheap, and tasted okay.
Oct 31, 2012
We loved it prepared as written, but I?d like to try Great Northern Beans, Turkey, and a little curry.
Mar 6, 2010
Very easy and very tasty. I didn't have stewed tomatoes, so I used regular canned tomatoes along with chopped celery and green pepper that I cooked along with the meat to soften.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.