Spicy Beans and Rice
"I make this for a quick meal when we are in a hurry, but I still want to feed my family something nutritious and yummy!" relates Janesville, Wisconsin contributor, Sandra Castillo.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first six ingredients; cover and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in the beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes and salsa; top with cheese. Cover and microwave on high 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 294 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 905mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Beans & Rice in Light & Tasty August/September 2006