Quick Red Beans and Rice
Even my kids like this hearty, stick-to-the-ribs dish. I like to add cubed leftover ham to make it a main dish. —Megan Taylor
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked rice
- 2-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup water
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute green peppers, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add the Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover; cook for 5 minutes. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 424 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1267mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 10g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Red Beans and Rice in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.