Spicy Red Beans and Rice
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 pound dry red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 quart water
- 1 large smoked ham hock
- 2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cooked rice
- Sort and rinse beans. In a large Dutch oven or kettle, place all ingredients except parsley and rice. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, 3 to 4 hours or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally, adding water as needed to make a thick gravy. Just before serving, remove bay leaves and stir in parsley. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 90 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 711mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 8, 2014
I have tried out several recipes lately, and this is BY FAR the best! We love it!!!
Jul 22, 2013
This recipe is so yummy and simple too. I will be making this for years to come. Thank you.
Jun 1, 2009
This is a great recipe. My preparation is easier - I put everything all at once in a crock pot and cooked it all day. PERFECT!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.