Refried Beans and Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and water. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the kidney beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add rice. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Drop rounded spoonfuls of refried beans over rice; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese and onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 278 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 923mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein.
Apr 24, 2013
this is a very simple yet tasty quick meal to make. I changed a few things, instead of stewed tomatoes I used diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro and instead of regular tomato sauce, I used Rotel brand tomato sauce for a little more spice. I would make this again. I also changed the ground beef to ground turkey.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.