Black Beans with Brown Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large saucepan, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, vinegar, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 25, 2015
This is the best rice and beans recipe I have ever had. My whole family enjoyed it so much that we made it again the next day!! The only alteration I made was adding more cayenne pepper to add a little more spice!!!
Jul 4, 2014
I made this today for lunch. It was very good. A little different than traditional black beans and brown rice. In fact, I steped up the brown rice by changing the mix to 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup Quinoa, and 1 cup Farro cooked in better than bullion vegetable broth.. The different grains blended together very well and tasted great by themselves . I will be making this again and again! Bobby
Oct 7, 2012
This was very good following the recipe exactly as written. The leftovers were great the next day too. I think the next time I make this I will use the leftovers either as a topping on tacos or add to burritos since it was so flavorful.
May 10, 2012
I've made this recipe several times since it was originally published. I vary the ingredients with what I have on hand, and it always turns out delicious! This has become one of my go to healthy meals for busy nights.
Sep 2, 2011
Delicious, easy & healthy. It's great with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Feb 17, 2011
Wow, was this surprisingly flavorful! I only had 1 can of beans, but it still seemed to work great. Also added a few dashes of tabasco sauce because I thought it'd be bland but it was really awesome. (Add some cilantro and lime to the rice and you've got a restaurant dish!)
Dec 5, 2010
it was excellent! I would just put a few less beans in next time. It's good served in a wrap as well!