Black Beans with Brown Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large saucepan, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, vinegar, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 25, 2015
This is the best rice and beans recipe I have ever had. My whole family enjoyed it so much that we made it again the next day!! The only alteration I made was adding more cayenne pepper to add a little more spice!!!
Jul 4, 2014
I made this today for lunch. It was very good. A little different than traditional black beans and brown rice. In fact, I steped up the brown rice by changing the mix to 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup Quinoa, and 1 cup Farro cooked in better than bullion vegetable broth.. The different grains blended together very well and tasted great by themselves . I will be making this again and again! Bobby
Oct 7, 2012
This was very good following the recipe exactly as written. The leftovers were great the next day too. I think the next time I make this I will use the leftovers either as a topping on tacos or add to burritos since it was so flavorful.
May 10, 2012
I've made this recipe several times since it was originally published. I vary the ingredients with what I have on hand, and it always turns out delicious! This has become one of my go to healthy meals for busy nights.
Sep 2, 2011
Delicious, easy & healthy. It's great with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Feb 17, 2011
Wow, was this surprisingly flavorful! I only had 1 can of beans, but it still seemed to work great. Also added a few dashes of tabasco sauce because I thought it'd be bland but it was really awesome. (Add some cilantro and lime to the rice and you've got a restaurant dish!)
Dec 5, 2010
it was excellent! I would just put a few less beans in next time. It's good served in a wrap as well!