Vegetable Brown Rice
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in rice and basil. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots, onions and raisins until vegetables are lightly browned and carrots are crisp-tender, lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add peas and salt; heat through. Stir in pecans and rice.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 305 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein.
Apr 16, 2018
Both my husband and I enjoyed this recipe. I agree with Hannah0418 that the raisins and pecans make this recipe. If there are just two or three of you, I suggest halving the recipe. It makes a ton, and the two of us will be having this at least another night though that will not be a problem!
Jul 8, 2017
Very good!! My husband who continually tells me he doesn't like brown rice liked this a lot. Found the recipe in an old TOH magazine and will now put this on a regular rotation.
Nov 8, 2011
This is phenomenal! Everyone I serve this to comments on how great it is. Nice blend of sweet and salty, crunchy and chewy. I make this often and will continue to do so. Can be made ahead and reheats just like fresh.
Feb 25, 2011
A+!!! the raisens and pecans make it different than what you'd normally find in fried rice blends. easy to make.
Feb 26, 2010
To me it was good, it wasn't great. I liked the fruit and nuts in the rice but nobody else in my family liked it, so I won't make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.