Vegetable Brown Rice
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in rice and basil. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots, onions and raisins until vegetables are lightly browned and carrots are crisp-tender, lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add peas and salt; heat through. Stir in pecans and rice.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 305 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 16, 2018
Both my husband and I enjoyed this recipe. I agree with Hannah0418 that the raisins and pecans make this recipe. If there are just two or three of you, I suggest halving the recipe. It makes a ton, and the two of us will be having this at least another night though that will not be a problem!
Jul 8, 2017
Very good!! My husband who continually tells me he doesn't like brown rice liked this a lot. Found the recipe in an old TOH magazine and will now put this on a regular rotation.
Nov 8, 2011
This is phenomenal! Everyone I serve this to comments on how great it is. Nice blend of sweet and salty, crunchy and chewy. I make this often and will continue to do so. Can be made ahead and reheats just like fresh.
Feb 25, 2011
A+!!! the raisens and pecans make it different than what you'd normally find in fried rice blends. easy to make.
Feb 26, 2010
To me it was good, it wasn't great. I liked the fruit and nuts in the rice but nobody else in my family liked it, so I won't make this again.