Black Beans and Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, green and red peppers, garlic, basil and pepper until tender. Stir in tomato sauce. Add the beans, rice and vinegar; heat through. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 175 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Nov 10, 2008
I make this but I also add some Cajun seasoning, left over steak or chicken sliced thin. I also add cooked greens and a can of corn. I either serve in a bowl with black bean chips or serve rolled up in a flour tortilla with pepper jack cheese over it and chopped tomatoes.
Feb 21, 2008
I agree! This really is bland. I added a sprinkle of chili powder, lime juice, sugar and fresh cilantro. It made a huge difference. It turned out this was a great recipe to build on. Thanks!
Dec 17, 2007
This is one of the blandest dishes I can remember eating. We added salt, pepper, a shredded carrot, a stalk of chopped celery and a can of green chilis to make it more palettable, but it only barely helped. Don't think I'll make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.