Hearty Beans and Rice
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, undrained
- 1-1/3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 376 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Apr 29, 2019
Apr 1, 2018
I added a little taco seasoning. This was a hit with the family! Thank you!
Feb 29, 2012
added some kick with a few drops of hot sauce and tomatoe paste. the husband ate some right out of the pan!
Feb 8, 2012
I added some garlic, onion, italian seasoning, and chicken boullion (I used ground turkey in place of beef). It would have been bland without otherwise.
Jan 25, 2012
Surprisingly bland. It needs an onion (or two) and some peppers.
Jan 4, 2012
Awesome recipe! I used white instant rice (because that is what I had in the cupboard) and added one beef boullion cube to water and garnished with sharp cheese. YUM! My 3 yr. old thought it was too spicy, so next time I will make it with italian seasoned tomatoes.