Brown Rice and Vegetables
This filling rice dish, full of big chunks of butternut squash and sweet potatoes, is a standout combination of sweet and savory flavors. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Place rice in a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the squash, apples, sweet potato, onion, salt and pepper; add to slow cooker. Pour broth over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in raisins and tarragon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 148 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 303mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Wild Rice and Vegitables in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2011
Feb 23, 2013
I was excited to try this recipe. I like everything in it. I followed the recipe exactly. It was awful. The rice never cooked. Reread the recipe several times and I am sure I did what it said. Will not try to make it again.