Pinto Beans and Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke if desired, salt and pepper. Stir in rice and beans.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 263 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 856mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 10, 2014
This was good and easy. I only had 2 cups of rice so just used that. For us it was enough. My husband is not a pinto bean man but really enjoyed this. I will make again maybe change it up a bit but still a great base recipe.
Jul 11, 2013
We did not like this recipe at all. I think theKetchup & mustard ruined it. Just our opinion .
Feb 25, 2013
I made this for an elderly man that I cook for to bring to a potluck he was going to, and when he saw it he said, "Wow that looks good! I'll try to be first in line so I can get some." When I tried it it tasted very good and I think I'll make it at our house too. :)
Jun 12, 2012
Eliminated brown sugar and after baking topped with shredded cheese ....back in oven til melted!
Jul 4, 2011
I MADETHIS RECIPE AND WE REALLY LIKED IT. I COOKED MY OWN PINTO BEANS BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE ALL THAT SODIUM IN THEM. I TOO WOULD COVER IT THE NEXT TIME OR PUT A LITTLE MORE LIQUID IN THEM. I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS TOO SWEET. I WILL DEFINITELY MAKE THIS AGAIN. I HAD SOME COOKED RICE I NEEDED TO USE TOO.
May 6, 2011
This was good for a baked bean dish, but I only put in 1 can of beans (that was plenty for us!). It was pretty sweet with only 2 Tbsp brown sugar and turned out kind of dry being cooked uncovered. I'd cover it next time.
Apr 26, 2009
Good and easy, I'll definitely make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.