Mexican Pork & Pinto Beans
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (3 pounds), trimmed
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- Pepper to taste
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 small zucchini, sliced
- Flour tortillas, warmed
- In a stockpot, combine the first eight ingredients; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 3 to 4 hours or until meat and beans are tender.
- Remove pork; cool slightly. Stir carrots, celery and tomatoes into bean mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add zucchini; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, remove pork from bone; discard bone. Cut pork into bite-size pieces; return to pot and heat through. Serve with tortillas.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled pork mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve with tortillas.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without tortillas): 211 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Oct 7, 2012
This was a really good healthy recipe!! I put the bone in pork loin in a crock pot on high for 2 hours and low for 6 then went by the recipe. I added a bit more chili powder, cumim and added garlic powder. Also, I added a small can of chili chipolte peppers for flavor and spice. Thank you for this recipe!! Have a ton and will be freezing some for later!!
Nov 24, 2011
This was so good we decided to make it our new family Thanksgiving Eve Tradition for supper!
Nov 8, 2008
this sounds so good will try it for sure
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.