Mexican Pork Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds lean boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, brown pork and garlic. Add onion, saute until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chilies, cilantro, oregano and bay leaves; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until pork is tender and no longer pink.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 199 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 2, 2017
This is a great simple recipe with a ton of flavor. The ingredients taste wonderful together. Definitely recommend you try it. I made minute rice as a side. Delicious.
Mar 1, 2015
Honestly, despite the other reviews, I did *not* expect this to be as tasty as it was! I didn't have fresh cilantro, so I used dried, as another reviewer did, and used jalapenos instead of green chilies, because it's all I had. I did have to add some water (about 1/2c) and a little bit of salt, and then served it over rice with a tiny bit of shredded extra-sharp cheddar. Yum!!! Can't wait for the leftovers. Thanks for such a simple, delicious recipe! Will definitely be making it again.
Sep 11, 2013
I will make this recipe again, but I'll use Boston Butt aka pork shoulder. The pork roast I used was a little dry after cooking in lots of liquid. I also added some lime juice because I thought it needed a little acid and that lime taste. Served with corn cakes and salad.
Mar 13, 2013
This recipe is fantastic. My mom has been making it for years and I finally sangged the recipe from her. I added corn, and made it extra spicy by using lots of sliced, jarred jalapenos. For garnish, I used some shredded marble cheese, and fresh cilantro. Loved it.
May 11, 2011
We thoroughly enjoyed this recipe over plain cooked couscous with a sprinkle of cheddar. (I used 1 t. dried cilantro in place of the fresh)
Jan 18, 2011
I have to admit I was a little nervous about this recipe. It was super easy to make and was absolutely marvelous. We added Sharp cheese and Cilantro to the finished product in our bowls. The cilantro really brings out the mexican flavors in this dish. You will regret it if you do not try this dish. I have to say it is one of my favorite stews to make now. P.S. There were no leftovers.