Fiesta Corn and Beans
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: Plain yogurt and sliced ripe olives
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, corn, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Serve with yogurt and olives if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 149 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Oct 29, 2019
I had to make some changes to the recipe. I had tried it with the seasonings called for but it didn't have any taste to me so I added about half a packet of taco seasoning that I was using for another recipe. All in all it was really good and definitely plan on trying again.