Fiesta Corn and Beans
Bursting with Southwestern flavors, the zesty veggie medley here can be served as a side dish or a meatless meal-in-one. The dollop of yogurt is a cool, creamy finishing touch. —Gerald Hetrick, Erie, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: plain yogurt and sliced ripe olives
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, corn, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Serve with yogurt and olives if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 149 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Corn and Beans in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.