Sausage Bean Burritos
Like my mother and grandmother, I'm a frugal cook. I purchase meats in bulk, including sausage. This is one creative way I've found to use sausage in an evening entree. Our children often request these zippy burritos. -Eleanor Chlan, Ellicott City, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups salsa, divided
- 10 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans, rice and 1 cup salsa; mix well.
- Spread about 1/2 cup sausage mixture down the center of each tortilla; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll up and place, seam side down, in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining salsa.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 335 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 705mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 29, 2011
A favorite for our family
Nov 13, 2009
This is a delightful change to burritos. Since they are flavored with salsa, my teens loved them. Very easy to make. They have become a regular around our home.