Pinto Beans with Kielbasa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds reduced-fat smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 287 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1363mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat.
Dec 6, 2010
This chili-type recipe is delicious! I can't believe it tasted even better the next night. I'm glad I doubled the recipe since my family loved it.
Aug 25, 2010
I used Mexican stewed tomatoes and added about a teaspoon of dried oregano to spice this dish up a little more, and I served it over rice. I will probably add another can of beans next time I make it.
Jul 12, 2010
So tasty, and easy to make. Definitely a new family favorite!
Mar 17, 2010
I have been making this recipe for my family since it came out in the Premier Issue of Light and Tasty in 2001....I slightly added to the recipe by adding a can or two of kidney beans as well and my family always loves this delicious hearty and warm dish. Its hard to stop at one bowl or even two and leftovers don't last long!!!! This is a five star recipe....
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.